Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wednesday Work: Robert Wiene: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)


Light!, Composition! Perspective! Oh My! It's never quite been done as Robert Wiene has done it, in his film noir: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. (1920.)


Having been said to be the inspiration for such contemporary film titles such as "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus", this film does not employ CGI, or any computer manipulation of the sort; this is real live set building, (tonal ranges painted in to play off of tonal ranges in the lighting (!)), real live film burning, capturing the exposure as the characters move across this surreal landscape in an early example of German expressionism.



There are not voices, nor is there dialogue, there are a few screens here and there of text, but mostly the film pulls you along via the visual experience with a classical musical score set over top.




I have to be honest, when I was made to watch this film early on in my schooling, I slept through it! Begrudging the experience even an ounce of my attention. Having grown older and wiser, now I look back at this gem of cinematography and shine in the afterglow of a masterpiece that is all but other-worldly.



(PS - It's available now on Netflix Instant Watch - you could see it for yourself while you eat breakfast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment