Monday, July 19, 2010

DEFY Monday: Summer Refresh


Okay, so summer has been here for a bit. We've done the thing. Sweat the sweat, drank the drink, got out of town a bit, with more getting-out-of-town to get got.

I don't know if you've heard about the East Coast heat wave, or maybe these are just the good old dog-days, but my anticipation of summer has turned into some dirt-encrusted heat exhaustion.

I need a new pair of cut-offs.

So I am taking inspiration from our temperate climate July fly the cicada, in an overnight transformation molting extravaganza make-over this guy goes from tree dweller to flying the skies. Brand-new and free, a breath of fresh air in the bogged down days and nights of heavy humidity.

A ruler straight nod to the coming fall? I am not saying get serious yet, this cicada bug does not - known in a classic Mexican mariachi song, romantically, as the one that sings until death.

I am just saying - take a shower!

I am going home to put my slip-ons in the washing machine and to shorn myself a new pair of jean shorts.

Learn more about cicadas, here.

And for more transformational art, check out Cicada Magazine, with works like the one below from Sam Bosma.


(source)


How's that for sporadic? Oh you get the picture, now get out there and DEFY Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment