Monday, July 5, 2010

DEFY MONDAY: Sleep!

Did you have a good 4th?

Are you all staying cool out there?

With mass amount of DIY home-improvement going on this past weekend (read: house interior in severe disarray = shambles; ie. clutter & crazy), this Monday all I want to do is sleep - and a cool white cube with clean white sheets sounds like the perfect place to do so.



This work by artist Chu Yun, called for women ages 18 to 40 to apply to be a part of his installation at the New Museum, as part of their "Younger Than Jesus" (an installment of their yearly "Generational" exhibition) showing in 2009.

Women who were chosen to participate were asked to then take a sleeping pill before being "installed" into the gallery space to give their sleeping "performance".




It looks lovely to me, but I would be mortified upon waking to find a crowd around me, like the one below. Other artists in the exhibition included Ryan Trecartin, Corey Archangel, and Liz Glinn.
You can read more about Chu Yun and the "Younger than Jesus" exhibition here, and here.

Would you ever audition to be part of an installation?
What are your thoughts on sleeping in public?
Check out another interesting "performance" based installation by Marina Abramivic here
and a hilarious response to the piece (involving a telepathic Bjork) here.
I think my face is asleep right now.
Beat the heat, Beat the heat, my mantra as I finish painting our new apartment.
[fingers flashing peace] TW, OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment