Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday Work: Textile Exile

All I have been able to think about in the past few weeks is fabric fabric fabric. I'm not talking fashion design, I'm talking fabric as a canvas, for everything I've always done, but with more possibilities...

Crocheting fabric,
Sewing, Serging, Shearing,
Textile designs by way of screen prints,
Dying fabric-y things,
Okay ... you get the picture.

It seems though, that the more I research fabric artists, the more I am coming across the same ole quilty quilts. You know, the kind that are meaningful if Great Aunt Wanda spent hours of painstaking time, sewing it by arthritis-ridden hands for that special birthday surprise. Those quilts have their places in our hearts..... of course....

But, Oh, The Delight! when I came across these two lovely ladies and their beautiful, original textile pieces:

Leah Evans creates these quilted wall hangings using an impressive assortment of layers and different techniques. All of her work has a common theme throughout, which is how maps interact with our ideas about land. More about her work can be found here.









Sarah Symes creates abstract art about life. She uses colors and spaces to explain real life emotions and experiences. See and read more here.

Just look at the detail!...

















Tomorrow I'm off to visit a friend's fabric studio.
Ohhh, that's right, Im just getting started.

Cheers to Autumns approach, the landscapes, the colors, and the entrance of new, fresh ideas.

1 comment: